Indian Vegetable and Rice Skillet Meal
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 8 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon ginger, fresh or 1/2 teaspoon ground
1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups mixed vegetables, chopped (try cauliflower, peppers, carrots or peas)
1 large baking potato, peeled and diced
1 cup white rice, uncooked
1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
2 1⁄2 cups water
1 can (15.5 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat (300 degrees in an electric skillet).
- Add onion, ginger, turmeric, and cumin, and stir while cooking for 1 minute.
- Add remaining Ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat.
- Simmer 20-25 minutes. Serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- For a flavor boost, cook ½ cup raisins or diced apples with the vegetables.
- Try using brown rice instead of white, and increase the simmering time to 45 minutes.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans