Mexican Vegetable and Beef Skillet Meal
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Makes: 8 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
1⁄2 pound lean ground beef (15% fat)
3⁄4 cup onion, chopped (3/4 medium onion)
1 cup uncooked white rice
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained (about 2 medium fresh tomatoes)
1 1⁄2 cups vegetables fresh, frozen, or canned and drained (try one or more-zucchini, bell pepper, broccoli, corn, cauliflower)
2 cups water
1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
1 Tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 cup (2 ounces) shredded cheese
- Cook beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet) until no longer pink. Drain fat.
- Add onion and cook until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add rice, tomatoes, vegetables, water, and spices. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low (250 degrees in an electric skillet). Cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is cooked. Add more water if needed.
- Remove from heat. Sprinkle with cheese and cover for 1 to 2 minutes to allow cheese to melt. Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try brown rice and simmer for 20 more minutes