Prep time: 15 minutes
Makes: 10 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
Chill Time: 1 hour
8 cups chopped kale (about 1 large head)
1 can (15 ounces) fruit in 100% juice (try pears, peaches, mandarin oranges, apricots, pineapple)
1⁄2 cup 100% fruit juice, reserved from canned fruit
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1⁄4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1⁄4 cup unsalted sunflower seeds (optional)
- Wash kale and pat dry. Remove rib from the middle of each leaf. Chop or tear leaves into bite sized pieces and place in a large bowl. Drain and chop fruit if pieces are large. Add to kale.
- In a small bowl, combine fruit juice, vegetable oil, salt, pepper, and sunflower seeds, if desired. Mix well.
- Add dressing to the kale and fruit and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours
- To soften the kale and improve the flavor, before adding the fruit in step 1, rub the torn leaves together until the kale becomes dark green and fragrant, about 3 to 5 minutes, OR prepare the salad a day ahead and refrigerate.